Life sure has been hectic these past few weeks. It seems like everything that needed to happen for me to become an adult happened all at once.
First it was graduation. Then, I got a job working at the deli in a co-op. I went to freshman orientation and signed up for my classes. I missed fun events, I haven’t seen my friends in over a month, and I’ve been waking up at 4:30am to go to work.
You might wonder how I manage to keep up with my blog and Green Girl’s Guide. Honestly, I don’t even really know how I do it. I just find time when there isn’t time. I’m sure the exhaustion will hit me hard in a few weeks.
This recipe came to me when I was eating a Square Bar and brainstorming what to make for movie night with the fam. I wanted to make a skillet cookie because I don’t know how I haven’t already. I’ve been making a lot of protein-packed desserts lately, so this just made sense and I’m so glad I got to use my favorite protein bars in a recipe. If you also love Square Bars, you can also check out my recipe for Protein Peanut Butter Nice Cream Cups.
This skillet cookie is
Easy to make
The perfect on-the-go breakfast
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup or honey
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ⅓ cup cashew butter
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon almond milk
- ⅔ cup oat flour
- ⅓ cup vanilla protein powder (I used Tera's Whey)
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 Square Bars, cubed
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Line an 8-inch skillet with parchment paper or grease well with olive oil. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk egg.
- Melt coconut oil in a heat-safe bowl, then add to egg. Add cashew butter immediately and stir until combined.
- Add vanilla and almond milk.
- Add oat flour in batches, stirring between each one.
- Add protein powder, baking soda and salt and stir until combined.
- Pour mixture into skillet and even out with the back of a spoon or spatula.
- Cut each Square Bar into 16 cubes and sprinkle on top of the mixture.
- Bake 17-20 minutes, or until lightly browned around the edges.
- Cool completely, then cut into 6 slices and top with nut butter.