This summer has been awesome so far and may I say… it’s largely because of all the zucchini bread that I’ve eaten.
Every backyard get-together I’ve been to this summer (and trust me; there have been lots) has had chocolate chip zucchini bread. Some have been great and some have been not so great. But, the best BY FAR was the bread I made with wholesome ingredients.
Chocolate chip zucchini bread is a classic. For most, it’s a good excuse to call a sugary treat “healthy.” Lucky for you, now you can actually believe it when you say it.
This bread is not exactly the healthiest. I’m not gonna lie, coconut oil and coconut sugar are not the best for you. Something they do have going for them, though, is that they’re un-refined. What I love about unrefined baking ingredients is that they’re more nutritious than refined ones.
It’s funny how zucchini can taste good in baked goods. It doesn’t seem like it would, but it creates such a wonderful moist texture.
The healthiest choice of chocolate chips are the ones with a high percentage of cocoa. I recommend buying dark chocolate chips, with at least 70 percent cocoa.
This zucchini bread is:
Much more flavorful than regular zucchini bread
- 1 large egg, beaten
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted (refined or unrefined)
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1½ cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups (lightly packed) grated zucchini (1 very large or 2 medium zucchinis)
- ½-2/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and grease a medium loaf pan (8 or 9 inch long) with olive oil. Set aside.
- Peel the zucchini and grate into hashbrown-sized pieces.
- Lightly pat dry with paper towel and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat egg.
- Whisk in maple syrup, vanilla and applesauce.
- In a small heat-safe bowl, melt coconut oil in the microwave or preheated oven.
- Pour oil and Greek yogurt into bowl and whisk together.
- Add flour to batter and whisk together.
- Add coconut sugar, baking powder and salt to batter and whisk together.
- Add grated zucchini and chocolate chips to batter and stir to combine.
- Transfer to greased loaf pan.
- Bake 45 minutes, or until top is golden brown and toothpick comes out clean from the center.
- Cool completely before removing from pan.