It’s a tradition for my dad and I to stay up until midnight on New Year’s Eve watching Marx Brother’s movies and eating buttery popcorn. This year was a bit different because we were invited to a party instead. I knew I had to do something special to make up for it… so, I decided to make some special popcorn.
I’ve never been one for dessert popcorn. I don’t usually like mixing sweet and salty, but now I most certainly do.
To make this popcorn even healthier, you can use an air pop popcorn maker. If you make popcorn often, I would highly recommend investing in one.
This incredibly tasty popcorn is:
The perfect snack for movie watching
If you like dark chocolate and coconut, you’ll love this delicious sweet treat!
- ⅓ cup shredded coconut
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- ⅓ cup popcorn kernels
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil, melted
- 1½ ounces dark chocolate, chopped
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Spread coconut on lined cookie sheet and bake for 8 minutes.
- In a medium pot, heat olive oil with 2-3 popcorn kernels over medium-high heat.
- Once popcorn pops, pour the rest of the popcorn in the pot. Cover and continue to cook. Once popping slows, shake the pot and remove from heat. Transfer popcorn to a large bowl.
- In a small heat-safe bowl, melt coconut oil with chopped dark chocolate in the microwave of oven. Stir to combine.
- Drizzle melted chocolate on top of the popcorn and sprinkle toasted coconut and sea salt on top.
- Chill in the refrigerator until chocolate hardens. To harden faster, chill in the freezer for a few minutes.