So… It’s my birthday today. The big 17! It’s a tradition for me to have some form of chocolate on my birthday, so I thought it was perfect to post one of my favorite chocolate treats.
It’s hard to do better than chocolate with chocolate. Well… maybe dark chocolate with dark chocolate. Right? It doesn’t get better than that!
I really did have a great birthday today. Plus, it was 60 degrees! What?! That just doesn’t happen in Minnesota in March. I’m also glad it’s National Women’s Day. I like that people were celebrating my birthday with me, even if they weren’t celebrating because it was my birthday.
For breakfast today, I had chocolate oatmeal with peanut butter, bananas, blueberries and pecans. It was so delicious! Then, as if it couldn’t get better than that, for lunch I had a slice of pesto pizza, a butter croissant and fresh fruit. It’s not exactly healthy, but it sure was great!
But, wait! I haven’t even told you what my dinner and dessert was. My mom picked up a dinner for me from my favorite restaurant, French Meadow. I got the zen salad, which is the most delicious meal I’ve ever had, with sauteed kale, spicy hummus, guacamole, olives, cucumbers, radishes and fried tofu. My dessert was yet another step up. I got an espresso chocolate torte which has a cookie crust, flourless chocolate cake, espresso mousse and vanilla bean whipped cream on top. Mmmmm… so good!
Now, back to the waffles. These waffles are a chocolate lover’s dream. I’ll admit, I’m a total chocolate addict and it was impossible for me to have just one waffle. I think I ate two and a half.
Peanut butter was a great addition. I highly recommend getting creative with your toppings. I bet berries, nuts and coconut whipped cream would all taste amazing on chocolate waffles.
I want these so bad right now. But, that’s probably not a great idea given all that I’ve eaten today. Tomorrow! These waffles are:
Wonderfully moist and warm
If you like chocolate (even a little bit) then you’re gonna love these waffles!
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3 Tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Optional: ¼ cup mini dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Preheat waffle iron.
- In a large bowl, combine almond milk and maple syrup and vanilla.
- Melt coconut oil in the microwave or preheated oven. Pour into mixture.
- Add eggs and beat whisk until combined.
- Add each dry ingredient, stirring after each addition.
- Add mini chocolate chips.
- Grease waffle iron with olive oil or non-stick cooking spray.
- Pour a heaping ½ cup of batter to the waffle iron at a time and cook as long as directed. (about 2-4 minutes)
- Once done, place waffle on lined baking sheet and keep warm in the preheated oven.
- Repeat with each waffle.
- Serve warm with melted dark chocolate, chocolate chips or peanut butter.