Oatmeal is one of the most basic breakfast foods, but can be given a bad wrap for its bland flavor. I’ll tell you why that is. Because you’ve been cooking it with water! I can assure you that once you replace water with almond milk, or other milk of your choice, and a natural sweetener, you’re gonna want to have oatmeal every morning.
Step 1: Start by measuring 3/4 cup old-fashioned oats.
Step 2: Toast oats in a medium frying pan for 1 minute over medium heat.
Step 3: Pour in 1 1/2 cups milk of choice. (I use unsweetened almond milk.)
Step 4: Cook for 6-8 minutes, stirring continuously, until it starts to simmer.
Step 5: Bring heat down to medium-low and continue to stir, until milk is nearly all absorbed.
Step 6 (optional): Stir in 1-2 Tablespoons honey, maple syrup or date caramel.
Step 7: Add other flavors. There are SO many! Let me list them:
Apples, bananas, kiwi
Peanut butter, almond butter or healthy nutella
Dark chocolate, cacao nibs or cacao powder
Nuts (like pecans, peanuts, almonds, walnuts & hazelnuts)
Sunflower seeds, chia seeds or flax seeds
Raisins or other dried fruits
Coconut whipped cream
Now I know by now you’re dying to make some oatmeal. But, just wait! Before you make a simple bowl of oatmeal with just honey and blueberries… and maybe even some pecans, you need see these life changing topping ideas! I seriously has SO much fun eating them.
Trust me; there is so much more where that came from. Just check out my page, Breakfast Bowl Topping Ideas.
- ¾ cup old fashioned oats
- 1½ cup unsweetened almond milk or milk of choice
- Optional: 1-2 Tablespoons cacao powder
- Optional: 1-2 Tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- Add-ins: apple, banana, blueberries, walnuts, cacao nibs, peanut butter, etc.
- Toast oats in a medium frying pan over medium heat for 1 minute.
- Add milk and cacao powder, if desired.
- Cook for 6-8 minutes, stirring whenever milk froths, until milk starts to simmer.
- Once simmering, lower heat to medium-low and continue to stir until milk is nearly all absorbed.
- Transfer oats to a medium bowl, stir in honey and addtoppings.
- Serve hot.