It’s amazing I made it through this week. So much is going on in terms of college decisions. It’s ridiculous and I’m for sure ready to just sleep for a year and deal with everything later.
So, I broke my Whole 30 diet. Turns out my body doesn’t respond well to a grain-free diet. I think it’s different for vegetarians because you’re supposed to eat a lot of meat on the diet.
I will continue to eat sugar free though. Sugar makes my skin break out and my energy plummet. I could really go for a solid month without it.
The hardest part about the Whole 30 diet was giving up dairy. I didn’t realize how dependent I was on feta cheese until I gave it up. But, I’m glad I came to realize that my skin loves it when I go without dairy. Now on to the granola bars… These easy-to-make snacks are the cutest thing ever! They’re:
- 1 and ½ cup Medjool dates, pitted
- ½ cup creamy natural peanut butter
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ⅓-1/2 cup mini dark chocolate chips (or sub chopped dark chocolate)
- Pulse dates until soft ball forms.
- Add peanut butter, vanilla and salt and blend until combined.
- Add oats and and chocolate chips. (Do not blend)
- Line a flat surface with parchment paper and form a rectangle. If you want more granola bars, make a longer rectangle and cut 8 short bars. If you want large bars, don't flatten quite as much, make a shorter rectangle and cut 5-6 bars. (You can also form a square and cut 9 even square bars.)
- Store in an airtight container, using parchment paper to separate bars for at least 2 hours.
- If you want to take one on the go, fold it in a sheet of parchment paper and put it in a plastic sandwich bag.