I know. I know. With all the crazy election stuff happening right now, who wants to think about food? Well… as always, I do! There’s nothing better to cure a case of the blues than donuts.
So, let’s talk about these amazing donuts! I’ve been hit really hard with election fever and the only thing that has helped take my mind off of it is pumpkin. Pumpkin this, pumpkin that… Everything pumpkin!
There’s a ton of pumpkin recipes comin’ your way in the next couple weeks. I’m so excited to kick it off with these incredibly delicious donuts.
These donuts are:
Super sweet (You’d never guess in a million years that they’re good for you)
just the comfort food you need right now
the perfect autumn treat
a proven hit with kids
Get ready! You’re really gonna drool over these. Even those of you who aren’t huge pumpkin fans will for sure come around once you try these incredible donuts!
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1⅓ cup Bob's Red Mill whole wheat pastry flour
- ⅓ cup mini chocolate chips + more for topping
- 1 recipe caramel glaze/sauce
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. and grease donut cavity with olive oil, coconut oil spray or non-stick spray. Set aside.
- Melt coconut oil and mix with coconut sugar in large mixing bowl.
- Add almond milk, applesauce, canned pumpkin and vanilla to bowl and stir until combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk egg. Add to batter and stir to combine.
- Add cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda and salt to batter. Stir to combine.
- Add flour to batter in ⅓ cup additions, stirring between each addition.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- With a spoon, scoop batter out, using hands to fill every bit of each cavity. (Fill all the way full, no higher than the center of the cavity.
- Bake 12-16 minutes, or until firm to touch.
- Cool completely before transferring from cavity to cooling rack.
- Clean out pan and re-grease 5 cavities.
- Fill 5 cavities with remaining batter.
- Bake remaining donuts.
- Meanwhile, prepare caramel glaze.
- Transfer glaze to large low bowl.
- When donuts are completely cooled, dip each one (top down) into caramel glaze.
- If desired, sprinkle chocolate chips on top.