Waffles waffles waffles!! What other words are there? I can’t think of any. My mind goes blank when I try to think of anything else.
I wasn’t sure what to expect when I tried this recipe, but I think I’m in love with this combination! I’d love to make this every single morning!
These waffles are so amazing! I think there will be many more sweet potato baked goods recipes in the future because this is just unbelievably delicious.
So, I have a confession to make. Before I tried these waffles, I thought I didn’t like sweet potato in sweet things. I thought it was weird to mix a typically savory food with a sweet one. But, boy was I wrong!
There seriously is nothing better than sweet potato with melted dark chocolate, pecans and coconut whipped cream! It’s such a magical combination.
Look at how GOLDEN they are! SO GOLDEN and fluffy! I’m literally in heaven just thinking about it.
These waffles are:
Wonderfully filling & really hits the spot
Unbelievably lip smacking
Amazingly high protein
That’s enough talk… I’m hungry.
- 1 cup mashed sweet potato, peeled and boiled
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- ½ cup + 2 Tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup (8 oz) plain Greek yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons pure maple syrup + more for topping
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½-1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 1½ cup whole wheat flour
- optional: ½-2/3 cup pecans, chopped + more for topping
- DARK CHOCOLATE SAUCE
- 1 oz dark chocolate, chopped and melted
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil, melted
- Bring a medium pot of water to boil. Peel sweet potato and cut into small chunks. Boil until very soft, then drain, mash and measure 1 cup. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F. and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place baking sheet in the oven.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs until light and fluffy.
- Add almond milk, Greek yogurt and maple syrup. Stir to combine.
- Melt coconut oil in the microwave or oven at 400 degrees F.
- Add coconut oil to batter.
- Add salt, cinnamon, baking powder and coconut sugar to batter and mix well.
- Slowly add flour, stirring between each scoop.
- Preheat waffle iron and spray with olive oil or non-stick spray.
- If desired, chop pecans and stir into batter.
- Pour a heaping ½ cup of batter into the waffle iron at a time.
- Cook according to your waffle iron's instructions (about 2-4 minutes).
- Once waffle is done, stack them on the lined baking sheet in the oven. Repeat with each waffle.
- Serve warm with maple syrup, coconut whipped cream, chopped pecans and melted dark chocolate.
- To make the dark chocolate sauce, in a small heat safe bowl, combine chopped dark chocolate and coconut oil and microwave for 30-45 seconds until completely melted. Drizzle on top of waffles.