Happy New Year, everyone! I’m not one for new year resolutions, because honestly I think they’re pretty dumb, but my intention for 2018 is to be a more conscious eater.
To me, conscious eating doesn’t just mean eating healthy; it also means eating more ethically. Though I didn’t write much about it on the blog, I did go vegan for about 3 months. I saw leaving for college as a fresh start and a great way to transition to a new diet. Little did I know just how limited my options would be in the school cafeteria.
I feel horrible for the dedicated vegans in college who have so few options. It was honestly shocking how few choices there were. There were days when there were no vegan protein dishes to choose from and there also weren’t veggie burgers. Being the active person that I am (at least when I started college) I needed more protein in my diet. So, unfortunately I gave up on eating vegan.
I know the vegans out there are probably so disappointed in me. Honestly, I was disappointed in myself when I gave in and ate some cheesy eggs. This year is the year that I do more research and more thinking about where the food I eat comes from. I know it seems like a lot to ask, but I highly encourage all of you to do the same.
Now, onto the “mac and cheese!” This delicious dish is:
100% cruelty free
- ½ cup raw cashews, soaked
- 12 ounces macaroni noodles
- 1 and ½ cup peeled and diced sweet potato
- ½ cup diced carrot
- ¾ cup cashew milk
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika + more for topping
- Soak cashews overnight.
- Cook pasta according to box instructions.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil.
- Boil sweet potato and carrot together. Once done, drain and let sit to dry a few minutes.
- Drain cashews and add to a blender.
- Add cashew milk, nutritional yeast, olive oil, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, and spices to blender.
- Add boiled sweet potato and carrot and blend on high until smooth.
- Drain cooked pasta and pour sauce over pasta.
- Serve immediately. Season with smoked paprika.